The Fishpork 20: Favorite Albums of 2008

Fishpork December 4, 2008 6
The Fishpork 20: Favorite Albums of 2008

Remember this era in music. It’s a special one. We’re going to look back and talk about it like we talk about the 60s or 70s. I used to miss all the great bands that came out of the 90s, but my longing for the hay days of grunge and industrial has since dissipated. Go ahead and disagree, but this is a renaissance period for music. This year was no exception. In fact, it served as an endless discovery period of great bands and classic albums. However, our favorite album of 2008 was not a difficult choice at all. Here is our list of favorite albums of 2008:

1. Deerhunter – Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.
  2. Crystal Castles – Crystal Castles

• Health – Disco

Most Disappointing Albums:

Most Overrated Albums:

• Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
  • Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend
  • Cold Play – Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Fishpork will post our favorite songs and live shows of the year next week. Check back soon!

6 Comments »

1. converseandcoffee December 4, 2008 at 11:30 pm -

It most definitely is a great time for music. Nice mention of Amanda Palmer – I personally thought her debut solo album was a great, solid record.

I think I agree with you on almost all your categories, and I know they’re mainstream and whatnot, but the new Killers album is good stuff. Check it out if you haven’t!

2. Mark
    Mark December 5, 2008 at 7:22 am -

Thanks for checking out the site and for the feedback! Yeah, her record was a more complete effort than any of the Dresden Doll albums. I haven’t been big on the Killers but will take another listen. We’re not against good mainstream by any means. Keep in touch and don’t forget to register your email for updates!

Interview with Girl Talk coming before Christmas!!!

3. G December 6, 2008 at 5:02 pm -

Agreed, I don’t know why so many people think it was a boring year for music, it was the complete opposite for me, great year and a couple of suggestions

New M83 album? i’m listening to it and I really like it, how about bon iver or Okkervil River? great efforts too

Oh and i’d suggest listening to Copeland’s “You Are My Sunshine”, that record is beautiful, I swear it could be my album of the year if it wasn’t for deerhunter’s microcastle/weird era cont.

Consolers of the lonely by the raconteurs, Mending by the new frontiers, lucky by nada surf and a partial print by tiger lou are on my list too

Anyways, just suscribed to your RSS feed, I’ll keep checking for updates, later

4. Mark December 6, 2008 at 7:27 pm -

Thanks for those suggestions. It’s always so hard to get to everything and then filter out the stuff you don’t like. We liked Bon Iver. It’s on our top 30. We do like the Raconteurs, too. Glad to hear you were feeling Microcastle! I put 800 plays from it on LastFM just this month. We’re going to check them out again in Brooklyn on Monday!

I have a few suggestions for you (if you haven’t already heard them): The Walkmen’s You and Me was really good, but I listened too late to put it on the list. A song called “Blue Route” gets me every time, and “In the New Year” blows my mind. I liked Department of Eagles better than Grizzly Bear. “Teenagers” and “Waves of Rye” are too cool.

Thanks for subscribing. We have a new camera, so we promise for better quality pics. We are also teaming up with NYCTaper to post some of his live recordings on our site.

Peace!

5. G December 6, 2008 at 9:17 pm -

Thanks a lot! I’ll check them out, its always good to hear some new music, i’ve missed out so many records this year its not even funny, haha

6. Ben Thompson December 26, 2008 at 1:17 pm -

I found more here if anyone’s interested

Leave A Response »